Tuesday, December 21, 2010

HLOG Q&A Update with Sasky

Today's Q&A update comes from Sasky.  Despite being from Australia she was HLOG's general hockey correspondent.  You can read her original Q&A here.  She included the following note to inform readers of how now she's all grown up ;)

I was 17 when I first filled out this Q &A, just graduated High School (by mere days) and living in a small country town in central Queensland, Australia. A hell of a lot has changed since then. I'm now 21, the proud holder of a LLB (law degree) and ready to move to Sydney to take up work with Octagon. Something's haven't changed. My life still revolves around the game.

1. What are you up to these days? Still blogging? Why or why not?
These days I spend most of my days studying (recently graduated though!) or working! I was never the most consistent of bloggers but I still write on occasion at a variety of blogs (personal, hockey, fashion) when I get the chance. I spend a lot of time now working with the Australian Ice Hockey League as a Commissioner of the game here in Australia and helping grow and develop the sport and increase stability and profitability of our franchises.

2. Have you changed team allegiances, or are you still in love with the team you represented on HLOG?
I was never listed with a team on HLOG more General hockey and I still am that way! I've always been a fan of great play and captivating players more than anything and my allegiance is to the sport itself. I binge on teams really, going between the Sharks, to the Leafs, to the Hawks back to the Sharks over to the Pens or Bruins. Recently I've been watching a lot of Avalanche but it's always changing.

3. How do you feel about your team this year?
Well see above!

4. Who is your favorite player now?
When I first started here I was all about Patrice Bergeron. One nearly career ending injury later, I'm still all about the Patrice Bergeron but as I've spent more time watching the game my interests have expanded. Joe Pavelski is a player who's definitely one of my favourites and I love watching for his great playmaking, sniping and two way play. Recently, Matt Duchene's been another l love to watch. Not only does he have incredible
hands and skills but he plays the game with such passion for it, and such a sense of unbridled enthusiasm that is infectious and makes me want to keep on watching.

5. Are we too old to use the term SQUEE?
I'm not that old in the first place! I'm just 21 but I admit "Squee" is no longer really my style. I still do the same thing pretty much I just wouldn't tag that label onto it. Fangirl Flail maybe ;-)

6. Do you feel that the role of the female fan in keeping the game alive or picking heroes in the community has changed any since you were on HLOG?
I think it's changed a heap in the last few years. Since I started around here 4 years ago the female voice in hockey has become louder and louder and the wider community and the NHL itself are starting to sit up and take note.  We've got women going into the hall now and with the recent backlash against the female clothing options for fans it's clear that we're in a changing times and people are starting to listen to the calls of these fans. Female fans (and players) are starting to get more respect for their role within the game and that can only be a good thing.

7. Hockey just isn¹t the same without the old guard. (Stevie Y, Joe Sakic, JR).

8. Favorite HLOG memory?
When I was in Washington I got to catch up with Teka several times. I was having a horribly rough time one day (some family stuff had been going on back home in Australia) and Teka turned up to Kettler Ice with chocolate cake to cheer me up. It was one of those days when you're so incredibly appreciative of the friends hockey's helped you make that always have your back when you need it most.

9. How do you feel the blog community has changed since our HLOG days?
Most of the people I now know from the hockey blogging community I made the initial connection via Twitter. It allows you to make much greater and lasting connections between people, to converse in real time in a way that establishes greater friendship and connection. A lot of people's blogs have benefited enormously from that and the community as a whole has grown.

You can find me at @saskystewart

10. Have you reached any milestones in the last few years, personally, that you're willing to share with us all? Do you have any upcoming milestones in the foreseeable future? (ahem, wedding? baby? book deal? etc?)
Woah where do I start? When I first filled this out I was 17 and just finished HS. I've just completed Law School, got my first big girl job as a Graduate in Athlete and Personality Representation with Octagon (basically a Jr Agent and YES that Octagon of Allan Walsh and the like) in their Australian Office helping manage a range of talent including F1 drivers, pro surfers, soccer stars and more.

Hockey wise I interned with the Washington Capitals for an amazing month in Feb 2009, spent my last Australian summer as an intern with the Everett Silvertips of the WHL (Dec ­March 2010) and spend a lot of my time running around for AIHL, AWIHL or IIHF work here in Australia! Those are all pretty big achievements milestones to me!

No comments: