Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Creative Challenge: Player Interview

Keeping with my love for Junior hockey and my Carolina Hurricanes, I was so happy to have the opportunity to interview 'Canes prospect Drayson Bowman. Private interviewer thoughts in RED
**disclaimer: this interview is totally a product of my imagination**
DS: What do you do to mentally prepare yourself for games? Is the preparation different for different opponents?

DB: I make sure I get plenty of rest, good meals. Preparation is definitely different. For example, if I know were going to be facing our toughest opponent and biggest rival, Tri-Cities, I just have to keep my head straight, not let myself get intimidated. I try to think of ways that have been effective against them in the past. When facing less-threatening opponents, like Portland, it's easier because there's less pressure. Although that can be tricky because you don't want to relax too much and let them pull together a win just because you were sitting back, thinking it would be easy.

more under the jump, with some adult-ish content, you've been warned :P


DS: The Chiefs came off the best season in their history. What do you think was/is the key to the team's success?

DB: For sure it was our depth. We had four solid lines that could be rolled a solid defense as well. Of course, what can you say about our goalies, just phenomenal.

Yah well, say what you want sweetcheeks, had game 7 gone just slightly different, MY TEAM would be the Memorial Cup Champs. blahblahblah Chiefs blahblahblah whatever. Do not mistake my obsession with you as liking your team. Doesn't work that way dollface. I need you to get the the NHL ASAP!

DS: What do you do to mentally prepare yourself for games? Is the preparation different for different opponents?

DB: I make sure I get plenty of rest, good meals. Preparation is definitely different. For example, if I know were going to be facing our toughest opponent and biggest rival, Tri-Cities, I just have to keep my head straight, not let myself get intimidated. I try to think of ways that have been effective against them in the past. When facing less-threatening opponents, like Portland, it's easier because there's less pressure. Although that can be tricky because you don't want to relax too much and let them pull together a win just because you were sitting back, thinking it would be easy.

DS: What about games against your brother? (Collin Bowman, two years younger, plays for the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL)?

DB: yah, I stay aware of the games when they're coming up on the schedule. Plus our parents usually come into town when we play against each other. He plays defense and knows how I play as a forward so it's a little challenging. But I can still skate circles around him **laughing**

DS: How have you improved as player from a year ago?

DB: Confidence. Going to 'Canes camp definitely helped, getting to work along with some of those guys, learning what I needed to do to be an effective player at the NHL level with fitness and stuff.

DS: What is your favorite practice drill (and why)? Least favorite (and why)?

DB: At the end of practice, the last drill we do is shootout. It's fun because you get to have some fun, see what kinds of fancy tricks you can do. My least favorite is any time we have a bag skate.

I would love to see the fancy tricks you have babydoll.

DS: Do you pattern your play after any particular NHL player?

DB: Probably Eric Staal. And I did that even before I was drafted by Carolina. He's quick and loves to shoot. He is great at hanging onto the puck in traffic and getting the shot.

I love Eric Staal

DS: Do you have any pre-game rituals that get you pumped to play?

DB: Big lunch of salad, steak or chicken and pasta. Then a big nap. I put my gear on starting with the right--right shin pad first, right skate before left ect. I keep all my favorite tunes on my ipod. I'm a pretty shy guy so I just focus on the game ahead.

DS: What was it like getting drafted by Carolina?

DB: Well, I honestly went a little later in the draft than I thought I would, but beyond that it was great. Carolina is a great organization. They've had a couple rough seasons after winning the cup and I hope to contribute to getting them back to winning and being successful in the playoffs.

Carolina friggin' rocks and it just makes it 1000 times better with you in the organization.

DS: If you could improve any one area of your game right now, what would it be?

DB: Probably my strength training. I'm still a little smaller than I should be at the pro level. I think bulking up and building muscle will make me more of a power forward.

Can I watch you lift weights? Or brush your teeth? Or anything else??

DS: Have you set any goals for the upcoming season--personal or teamwise?

DB: Obviously, I would love to make the Hurricanes this season. Hopefully I can put together a good training camp. If I'm back with the Chiefs that's fine too, we still have a great core of players and will work towards repeating as champions.

Please please please make the 'Canes so I don't feel like such a traitor watching YOU when my team is on the ice! And if you're back with Spokane then I guess that's good cuz then I get to see your lovely face again this season up close.

DS: What is the best part of being a member of a team?

DB: Just being able to be close with the guys, you all are working for a common goal which makes for some good camaraderie.

DS: What has been your favorite off-ice team building activity?

DB: We usually do an obstacle course, ropes course thing where you have to rely on the other guys to get you through. In an unofficial capacity, when it snows and stuff in Spokane, most of the guys will get together and go sledding and stuff. We don't usually let coach know, though because he would kill us if we got hurt **chuckles**

DS: Why did you choose to wear the number you wear? (If you didn't choose, what number would you want and why?)

DB: I've always worn #27. It's pretty embarrassing because it's a little nerdy, but it's a multiple of 3 and 3s are balanced. **blushing**

That is so nerdy hot I love it.

DS: Shoe-check the best prank? Or something else (elaborate...)? Who's the best prankster?

DB: Shoe-check is classic. I'm not going to elaborate more than that. The best prankster is probably David Rutherford. He does some crazy stuff.

DS: Who's in charge of locker room music?

DB: Captain Chris Bruton. Now that he's gone, I don't know who will take over. The next captain I guess.

What if you're the next captain? What music would you play? Your choices or general team-approved tunes?

DS: If you could have dinner with anyone (alive or dead, though they'd obviously be alive for the purpose of answering this question) who would it be and why?

DB: Oh, wow. Probably Joe Sakic. I grew up watching him. My family had season tickets to the Avalanche and I would enjoy just talking hockey with him.

DS: Best advice you ever got and from whom:

DB: My parents always told me that if I wanted to be a hockey player I had to work for it. I've gotten where I've gotten because of hard work and their support.

DS: What hobbies or activities do you have, away from the rink?

DB: Uh, mostly I just play video games. Pretty typical guy, I guess. **chuckles**

DS: What song are you embarrassed to have on your ipod?

DB: Oh wow. **blushing and chuckling** I hate to say. "I Feel Like A Woman" by Shania Twain

OMG. I love you. Not necessarily because I dig Shania Twain, but because you have that song on your ipod.

DS: What are the top 5 songs in heavy rotation on your ipod?

DB: Uh, well "Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy" by Garth Brooks and Chris LeDoux, "Kristofferson" by Tim McGraw, uh **chuckles** "Low" by Flo Rida, "Should've Said No" by Taylor Swift, and uh "More Than Feeling" by Boston **laughing**

DS: What actor would you want to play you in the movie about your life?

DB: I don't know that there needs to be a movie about my life. I guess Christian Bale. Can he skate?

Mmmmm. Christian Bale is hot. He can learn to skate.

DS: What random piece of information or trivia do you use to impress people?

DB: well, I guess I could tell them I'm the locker room ping pong champion.

I don't know why I find that so incredibly hot.

DS: What is your favorite meal at Olive Garden?

DB: Tour of Italy. It's got all the good stuff.

No, honey, you've got the good stuff.

DS: What is your favorite video on youtube?

DB: well, not the one of me and my brother fighting that's for sure **laughing**

God, I would hope not because, sorry dollface, that was pathetic

DS: Waffles or pancakes? What do you put on them?

DB: Waffles. With strawberries and whipped cream. Full IHOP style.

Oh holy jeebus. Can I slather you with strawberries and whipped cream (lactose-free) and lick it off??


DS: What is the ringtone on your phone when your mom calls?

DB: When my mom calls? **laughing** I don't have a separate ring tone. I just use one of the tones that came with the phone for all my calls.

You should get a separate ring tone for when I call-- "I Touch Myself"

5 comments:

wrap around curl said...

I must say the Olive Garden question is the best I ever came up with. And I stole it from Kathy Griffin.

Jennifer Hammer said...

you're a champ WAC, huge props for your help!

Lucky13 said...

That was flippin hilarious. You're red comments cracked me up (especially the one after his response to his pre-game rituals). I'm still laughing...

Well done!

Lucky13 said...

DS - I hope there's some merit to that interview (not the red text, of course), because there's a snippet of it and a link to hlog posted on Illegal Curve.

Jennifer Hammer said...

no merit at all. it's a CREATIVE challenge. I suppose i should add a disclaimer.