Saturday, March 15, 2008

Some Qs and Some As

1. Where you're from, what you do - basic things.
I hail from a suburb approximately 30 minutes southwest of the Staples Center, which is in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. And yes, the beach is very close to my house.

I was away for seven years (2000-2007) going to college, working, and coaching up in northern California, aka enemy Sharks territory. It was here where my hatred for the Sharks grew substantially. It got to the point where I really didn't mind the Ducks winning the Cup last year because I was so busy being happy that the Sharks were taken out of the race. I was the one and only (and very lonely) hockey fan among my friends; I got laughed at for having my own playoff bracket hand drawn and taped up on my wall. But I had a TV in my room with Versus, so I eventually became the fan that I am now who is a little spastic and yells a lot (although I think I've mellowed out the last couple of months). P.S. I didn't go to college for 7 years. I was just in norcal for that long.

I currently work in a cube and stare at a computer screen. But I'm doing almost exactly what I want to be doing, which is fantastic, so no complaints from me. In my off time I try to go to the gym, read, and/or watch movies.

2. Your team and why you like them.
My heart belongs to the Los Angeles Kings forever and ever. I grew up in the Gretzky era and would not have traded that for anything. I probably spent the majority of middle school and early high school watching roller hockey more than ice hockey, but both were very prevalent. It was those roller hockey games where KMS2 and I became friends!! Odd thing I'm finding now is that when I say my favorite sport is hockey, people give me the weirdest looks. But back when I was younger, it wasn't a surprise to hear that I loved the game.

Why do I like the Kings? Because I grew up watching them? You can't turn your back on something like that and hop onto some other bandwagon.

3. Your least favorite team and why?
Now this is a toss up between the Sharks and Ducks. The Ducks is just a dead giveaway; I thought it was weak that the NHL was coming out with a team based on a movie. Granted the movie was a way to promote this new team Disney was unveiling (from what I've gathered), but still, as a kid, it just seemed like a stupid concept. As a side note, no one I know thinks the rivalry named being named the Freeway Faceoff is a good thing.

The Sharks. Oh the Sharks. I never paid any attention to the Sharks growing, but my time spent in norcal groomed me into the Sharks-hating fan that I am today. Three years ago when they absolutely dominated, I absolutely hated them. I hated that they turned a leaf when Thornton came on board. I hated that Cheechoo found his step and found the net. I hated that Marleau won fastest skater at the All-Stars Skills Competition. I hated Sharks fans rubbing my face in the fact that my Kings weren't doing well and their Sharks were. I freaking hate trash talkers, and I felt like that was all I got. But thinking back to that time, if those Sharks fans didn't give me crap about how lame LA was and how the Kings weren't doing well, I might not hate the Sharks as much as I do.

4. Your favorite player of all time & now?
Rob Blake. Hands down, no question. I remember being little and watching him on TV and his name and number always stuck with me, along with the massive hip checks he was laying down. I also remember trying to hip check friends in the hallways in school; they probably didn't appreciate that too much. Anyhoo, Blake is back with the Kings finishing up the second year of a 2-year contract with the probable signing of at least a one-year contract for the 08-09 season. I am absolutely beyond thrilled that I was able to move back and watch him play on the ice again.

5. Which hockey player is your least favorite and why?
I think even if I wasn't a Kings fan, I'd still loathe Chris Pronger. And I think his gap-toothed smile makes it worse.

6. What do you hope to gain from joining HLOG?
The majority of my friends are male and uninterested in hockey, so I am hoping to find an acceptance in this large and growing network of female hockey-lovers. This is a unique community and am excited to be a part of it. I am constantly reading all I can when it comes to hockey, and it's always nice to be able to talk to someone about the sport without having to explain what a power play is.

7. What role do female fans contribute to the game of hockey? What does female fan support do for the league/team/player she supports?
We, as female fans, make a huge portion of the fanbase for this sport. So, to the corporate schmoes, we are an integral component to every franchise; but isn't it funny how the Alyssa Milano line hadn't been launched until now. Back on track, we offer a different way of viewing the game and aspects that surround the play on the ice. I also believe we have more patience with the general non-hockey loving person in trying to explain the rules and why we have this unexplainable love for the game. Female fans can also bring awareness to individual players on teams; i.e. Kirsten's utter hatred for Martin Skoula, Steph's... need for Ty Conklin, Finny's... affinity toward OB. =) I would be unaware of these players were it not for these three lovely ladies!

8. Hockey just isn't the same without __________!
the NHL Network. When I moved back, I needed a way to watch hockey (preferably) all the time. So I bit the bullet and ordered DirecTV with the NHL Network. Turns out it was the best investment to date. Wait...I probably should say college was my best investment, but you get the idea. So yes, the NHL Network allows me to watch hockey highlights for as long as I want every night as well as a slew of other things and I would be completely lost without it.

9. If you could make your own team, regardless of whatever players, what would it be called and where will it be/how would it be like?
They would be called the Las Vegas Sugar Daddies. Obviously the name would be the point of interest for those visiting the city of wickedness; but those over 40, greasy, and doning gold chains are not allowed on the roster.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey CKim. The Las Vegas Sugar Daddies. I like it. I wonder what their logo would look like.

Steph said...

...thanks for calling me out on that, Connie (you couldn't have gone with Hemsky instead?). You're lucky you knitted me things and I can't be mad at you.

Connie said...

Amy - Whatever it is, I'm sure it'd be awesome.

Steph - Oh...I totally forgot about Ales...hmm... =P

Kirsten said...

Welcome to HLOG!

Skoula sucks! So does FCP while we are at it. He has always been a douche, and he seems completely uninterested in changing. Skoula isn't douchey, just a bad hockey player.

Bethany said...

Welcome, for some reason I thought you have been a member for a while now...guess I was wrong...:)

Connie said...

Thanks Kirsten! I feel like Skoula wronged you in a past life... or something.

Bethany, it seems like I was, huh? I'm just sneaky like that. =P

Shan said...

This is an amazing streak on HLOG. Has anyone noticed, that so far, only WOMEN bloggers have joined! How strange.

Bethany said...

Haha you are sneaky.

Isleschick said...

I live for the NHL Network and the 10 commercials they have on there. :)
Welcome to HLOG!

Connie said...

Shan - I'm not sure if that was supposed to be sarcastic?...

Bethany - It's because I'm a ninja.

Isley - Yes! I'm so glad someone else knows that the NHL Network runs the same commercials over...and over ...and over... again. The mute button is my friend.

Rinslet said...

Welcome, welcome.

For a long time, I was wondering why you weren't part of the HLOG team yet even though you have a great hockey blog and interact with current HLOGgers. Glad to see you're finally here though.

Cat said...

Welcome, welcome! I, too, thought you were already an HLOGger - it's nice to have you on officially!

Connie said...

Thanks, guys! I feel the love already!

Kerri said...

Heeey CKim. I'm late, but welcome!

Nadine said...

CKim, I've been away from the computer but welcome to the team! (And, like many others, I pretty much thought you were one of us already.)