Friday, November 02, 2007

And I forgot to put a title on this post.

I am not the slightest bit superstitious. I don't knock on wood, black cats don't scare me (quite like them, actually) and I don't have any rituals or routines. I don't even care if someone says "shutout" before the game is over.

Ok, maybe I care, just a teensy bit, about that last one. I've worked hard to let go of my superstitions; I can't feel guilty about the itty bitty one I have left. I didn't even realize that one was still there until I started thinking about it for this post!

Which brings me to the confession that I used to be wildly superstitious. I knocked wood way too much. I FREAKED if someone said, "shutout." I not only prayed to the Hockey Gods but I wrote actual letters to them in a notebook. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Somewhere in the last couple of years I just decided it was time to stop. I made myself stop. I didn't like being a slave to superstition, especially when I know, intellectually, that it makes no difference. I now feel much happier and more relaxed in my hockey watching...unless someone says, "shutout."

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I can't stand it when ANNOUNCERS say "Shutout." That drives me insane. Like do you know nothing about this sport and its goaltenders? Go get a job at McDonalds, idiot.

So basically, I agree with you :-).

Marie said...

Haha, I forgot about the "Shutout" thing. I'm with kerri, I hate it when announcers do that. I still won't even say it because I don't want to jinx it!