Monday, January 08, 2007

Faith and hockey

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said regarding this topic of faith and hockey. As a born again Christian, my beliefs are extremely important to me. However, I don't share Rubin's Orthodox Jew beliefs, which say that he must rest on the Sabbath. While I can certainly respect his decision to honor his beliefs and choose not to play on that day, I can only imagine what that could do to the chemistry of the team (like someone else mentioned in a prior post).

If I was a GM of a team and could draft or sign one of two players who were equal in skill, why would I sign someone who can't work one out of every seven days of the week? I admire his conviction to stay true to his faith, but I don't see him earning a job in the NHL because of it.

If Rubin can find a team that wants him on their team, good for him. I have no problems with that. I just wonder if Rubin will stop playing after awhile when he realizes that he won't be able to advance to a higher level of play because managers aren't willing to take a chance on a kid who can't play one day of the week.

No comments: