Friday, October 13, 2006

Loxy reprezentz!

Where you're from, what you do - basic things.
Loxy sprung upon the world 25 years ago in Edmonton, Alberta. She was a wakeful child with a an inescapable need to, ahem, escape. No stroller, crib, house, yard was left unescaped. Yet, for over 23 years, she stayed in Edmonton (with 3 and 6 months stints in Montreal and Victoria respectively). Upon returning from a post-University (Economics, boring, I know) trip to Europe, she decided to relocate to Vancouver and pursue a diploma in Broadcast Journalism. In addition to talking in the third person, Loxy likes to take pictures, watch Arrested Development and fantasize about Topher Grace.

Your team and why you like them
I'm an Edmonton Oilers fan. I grew up in Edmonton so it was an easy decision. That said, I wasn't a fan of the "glory-years" Oilers. I fell for the Petr Klima early 90s Oilers. Outside of the 1990 cup win, there were some terrible teams in the lean years. The economic climate changed and the Oil were left on the outside looking in. And that's why I pulled for them. I love an underdog.

Your least favourite team and why?
I hate to say it, considering it's the my new home, but the Vancouver Canucks. Nothing is more frustrating than a fan base which rocks the entire lower mainland everytime they jump on and off the bandwagon. Granted, there are good fans - the blogs are full of them - but those aren't the ones I run into when I wear Oilers paraphenalia.

Your favourite player of all time & now?
I'm Marty Reasoner's biggest fan.

Growing up, I liked Petr Klima, Jim Dowd and Ron Francis. I also had a Pavel Bure jersey.

If you had to punch one hockey player or member of the NHL organization, who and why?
Chris Pronger for recent events that I wish not to elaborate upon.

What you'll be looking forward in this group blog.
It took me almost two weeks to agree to the blog. At first, I declined due to lack of time (which will still be a concern) but realized that there was lots of intelligent-speak I wouldn't be putting out there c/o hot-oil.

What you don't like in general?
imitation watermelon flavour.

What role do female fans play in keeping the game alive?
I think it's less about the role of female fans and more about the different type of fans. With an economics background, I'm a huge analyst of the business of the game. And having played high level athletics, I relate hockey to overall sports understanding. And yes, as a female, I might have some different interests even within my subset of econ-ex-athlete junkies.

What role do female fans play in picking heroes for the community?
As I said before, I think it's less about female-male, and more about individual diversity which is important. Because we're dealing with a male-only league (primarily), we can highlight those athletes with whom we relate - local players, same ethnicity, upbringing, etc.

If you were on a deserted island, which player would you pick to stay with you?
Crosby, Ovechkin or Phaneuf (hey he tried!)?

Ovechkin. Lets be honest, I think he'd be the most exciting sexual partner. And teaching him English would be a good time waster.

The player you'd like to take for a grand night out/a movie/a boring event
I'd take Marty Reasoner for a grand night out. I'm sure he'd be the consummate gentleman.
I'd take Rick DiPietro with me to a movie because... aren't you laughing already? Anything with Rick DiPietro for less than 15 years is funny.
I'd take Mark Bell to a boring event because I hope it'd give us a chance to make out.

If you could make your own team, regardless of whatever players, what would it be called and where will it be/how would it be like?
It wouldn't have any first line talent. It would be comprised of players who have good vision, good hockey sense, some skill and a hella heart. It would be located close to me, but not in Vancouver, because I don't want fans jumping on the bandwagon. It would be terrible for 10 years before we started to get good and if you hadn't been a fan from day one, you'd be excluded from fan-dom. The Victoria Cougars.

6 comments:

Cheeky Umbrella said...

You trashin' my Canucks?! It's on, girlfriend!

Just teasin' ;-) I'm with you on the bandwagon jumping. This city is bad for that.

I'm an Arrested Development fan too - just got the 3rd season on DVD. Still can't believe no other station picked the show up - it was brilliant! Gob is my favourite - his magic shows to "The Final Countdown" are classic.

Loxy said...

I've got Final Countdown as the ring on my phone.

I was a Canucks fan for many years. But once I got out here, the fans bothered me.

Miss. Scarlett said...

[raises hand] I too am an Arrested Development fan and can [scarily] quote it on demand.

Jordi said...

I read your post title with a lot of enthusiasm.

Anything with Rick DiPietro for less than 15 years is funny.

Oh god yes.

Loxy said...

And Rick DiPietro for 15 or more years is just plain crazy.

HG said...

Arrested Development for sure. The Final Countdown is classic. We went to an OHL game and they started playing it with 10 seconds left in the third and when the puck dropped the music STAYED ON! It was perfect.

How can you not love Gob's dance?