Friday, June 12, 2009

Stanley Cup Finals: What is wrong with NBC?

What is up with NBC's lighting during the Stanley Cup Finals? Ever single game on NBC this series has been on the verge of being unwatchable, and I'm talking Fox Sports Network unwatchable. If I wasn't a hockey fan I would not watch these games. Each game (and each period) starts out perfectly fine. But as the period goes on, the lighting in certain parts of the ice become so glaringly bright that you cannot even see the lines (red line, blue line, circle, and faceoff dots) painted on the ice.


I noticed that in Detroit the glare is at center ice, but in Pittsburgh the glare is at each end, with the "home shoots twice" end having the most glare. I haven't read any complaints on the blogosphere and I'm trying to figure out why no one else has mentioned it. After the first two games in Detroit I thought it could have been my TV but the next two games in Pittsburgh that were televised on Versus were lit well. The following two games on NBC, one in Detroit and the other in Pittsburgh, had the same glare issue. You may think that the whiter the ice the better it is to see the puck, but the ice isn't just whiter, there's a glare to it so that the puck gets momentarily lost as it moves through the "glare" zones. Has anyone else noticed this problem??

(x-posted to Purple Crushed Velvet)

1 comment:

Kerri said...

You're are just scratching the surface, my dear! Besides the glare, you have mumbling idiots for analysts, ridiculous between-the-period throw downs between two other idiots and camera crews that intentionally pan away from scrums.

Oh, and is it just my area, or does Versus crap out on everybody whenever something good is about to happen?