Friday, November 30, 2007

Happy Days are Here Again (Starting Next Season)

Finally! The NHL actually listened to those fans (myself included) who griped about the current format of the schedule: 80 interdivisional games, and 2, well, other...okay, it's not quite that drastic, but I've always thought it to be ridiculous to have some teams just never play eachother all season while teams in the same division played what felt like every other week.

It really hit home with me when this season's schedule resulted in the Central and Atlantic divisions never seeing eachother. The reason is two-fold: The Rangers would never play 2 original six teams (Chicago and Detroit), which is a travesty, and furthermore (I promised to always include my boy Jed in my posts), the Rangers would never play the Predators, which is now Jed's team. I was okay with him going elsewhere, as long as I could see him play at the Garden. That was not to be under the current format.

And what happens in the playoffs when teams play eachother for the first time because of this idiotic schedule? Makes no sense to me.

But alas - things are looking up. It was posted on the NHL website that a decision was reached by some high-exalted grand poohbah to have all teams play eachother at least once. I am one happy camper. Now, if we could just get rid of Bettman...

2 comments:

Heather B. said...

And what happens in the playoffs when teams play eachother for the first time because of this idiotic schedule? Makes no sense to me.

I will say that while I would like to see more teams more often, I actually love when two teams who haven't played each other a billion times play in the playoffs. I think there's something exciting about them not knowing each other's tendencies and methods.

Kerri said...

YAY! WESTERN CONFERENCE HOCKEY!!!

I'm so excited about this!