Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Name Says it All

I felt compelled to chime in on the superstitions topic considering that my screen name is Lucky 13. Why, you wonder? Well, there are several reasons I’ve accumulated in my expansive lifetime, but it all boils down to this: Let me buck that superstition.

For starters, my birthday falls on the 13th day of the month, and yes, there were years in which it fell on the dreaded Friday the 13th (gasp!). Actually, one occurred during my senior year of high school, and it was the best ever, highlighted by a phone call from an old beau that I hadn’t heard from in over a year. I wore #13 on my team uniforms (didn’t bring me a whole lotta luck – no scholarships, but it didn’t hurt, either). I then went on to graduate 13th in my high school class. Coincidence? Probably, but it adds to the fun of the topic.

I also have a penchant for black cats. I’ve owned several in my lifetime, and they’ve constantly crossed my path, (especially at feeding time), and I’m still around to tell about it.

I love the fact that some airports don’t have a gate 13.

Since the Rangers have both won and lost when I’ve gone to see them play (despite my consistent efforts to take the same train to NYC, eat at the same place before the game, etc.), it’s hard for me to nail down the element of my routine that ends in a win. However, I will never attend a game without wearing my Rangers jersey. That is a deathwish.

Much to my chagrin, there aren’t many NY Rangers who’ve donned the #13.

Maybe Jed O. should try wearing a new number - he's not doing much lately, nor is his team.

So, a triskaidekaphobe I am not, but as far as what makes my Rangers win, I’ll believe anything.

No comments: