Thursday, August 02, 2007

Parise Re-signs -- There Is Much Rejoicing

As the representatives of the Devils here on HLOG, we've been a little lax this summer when it comes to commenting on Devils news. We've seen big players go (Gomez, Rafalski), new players arrive (Zubrus) and have gotten a whole new coaching staff (Sutter, et al) and we've neglected to write about any of it. We will, however, take a moment to write about Zach Parise re-signing a 4-year contract, worth $12.5 million. The deal is an almost unheard-of thing in this season of huge contracts for mediocre players -- it's reasonable. For all parties involved. Based on what other RFAs have been given this season, Parise could have been expected to hold out for a lot more. So good on Lou, Zach and Zach's agent for taking a sane approach to the contract. With only one player remaining unsigned (next season's #1 d-man on the team, Paul Martin) the Devils are in excellent shape for the start of the season.

13 comments:

Jordi said...

Parise resigns you say?

Kirsten said...

I :heart: Parise. Several of my friends have man crushes on him. Several of my chick friends have regular crushes on him. Clearly he is a man of the people, a man that everyone can appreciate.

Shan said...

ohhhh RE-SIGNS. When I looked at the bookmarked RSS feed I thought you meant resigned as in quit.

And the Devils can go to hell.

Eleanor said...

Shan, thank you very much for your careful proof-reading. It's much appreciated, and the title of the post has been correctly edited now.

And the Devils can go to hell.

Oh, how very clever! Devils, hell, devils, hell -- oh, I get it!

Shan said...

Get what?

Shan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eleanor said...

Get what?

That wasn't a joke? Ah, punditry at its finest.

Shmee said...

Woohoo! Kevin Lowe didnt get his grubby fingers on him first.

P&S -- I have already planned my trip up to NJ to see the Devils. Very excited, especially since they are Gomez free now.

Eleanor said...

Shmee, are you coming up to see the Caps play in Jersey? Maybe we can plan to meet up at the game?

Kirsten said...

I'd be sooooo happy if the Oilers snagged Parise. Words cannot express the amount of joy that I would feel.

Shmee said...

I was going to come up for the Sen-Devils game on Oct 27th (ugh, why is the season so far away?!?) which would also afford me the opportunity to hang out with Mama Shmee. The Nov. 2 game against the Leafs looks good too but the Caps are home that day against the Flyers. I would love to go to the Rangers/Devs game in Nov...I bet I will have to buy tix for that ASAP.

The Devils are away so much in the beginning of the season, that must be so tough for you guys!

I would love to meet up! I can tell you about the time I was at a bar in NJ and I had maybe just a tad too much to drink so I started dancing on the bar. In a skirt. And Scott Gomez was serving drinks at the bar right below me. It might be the only time I was (accidentally) a puck bunny.

Schnookie said...

Shmee, I cannot WAIT to hear your tales of puckbunnying up to Scott Gomez! (And was the sight of you dancing on a bar what drove him away from NJ? :P) If you're going to be at the HLOG I-95 Corridor convention we can shore up our plans then! (And as for them starting the season on the road, it works out perfectly for us to fit in our own roadtrip in October...)

Oh, and kirsten -- hands off our Zach! You can't have him! ;-)

Kirsten said...

He lives in Minnesota in the offseason. I have an opportunity to snatch him while he's here...