Tuesday, May 29, 2007

That's What Friends Are For

Stolen from Jes Golbez over at AOL's Fanhouse, another feel good story for hockey fans.

Many, many years ago, Teemu Selanne promised a bunch of childhood friends that if he ever made it to the Stanley Cup Finals, he'd make sure they were there to see it. Sure enough, he flew 16 friends over from Finland, paid all their expenses, and tracked down tickets to game one for everyone. (Not even the Finnish Flash had enough pull to get all the seats together. "There is like five, three, two, one, one," he said. "It's hard to get tickets.")

How much am I loving this story? Enough to make me lean a little tiny bit toward wanting the Ducks to win, I gotta admit. Atleast for today.

Some of Teemu's buddies:

6 comments:

Marie said...

I'm a huge Teemu-hater but I'll be the first to admit that what he did was pretty cool. And did you know he used to be a Kindergarten teacher? I mean, damn it, why is he making it so difficult for me to hate him!

Jordi said...

It's true, Finns are insanely weird but possibly insanely awesome in their spare time. Next he'll be knitting us all scarves.

Heather B. said...

And did you know he used to be a Kindergarten teacher?

I had no idea, but as a certified kid lover, the damn Finn is worming his way into my heart.

karen said...

What a total sweetie! My younger son is a Ducks fan (whenever the Sabres aren't on the ice, that is), so we're rooting for them anyway...but this story just makes it that much easier to hope they win!

Bethany said...

Awh...I'm sure they didn't let him forget...that's just awesome!!

Katebits said...

I LOVE that guy on the right who made his Temmu t-shirt into a tie....hee, silly Finns.....

I adore Teemu.