Saturday, March 31, 2007

Me and My Youth Small Miroslav Satan Tee

For many Islander fans, it is probably difficult to dress for the game. But since my signature color is any violent shade of orange, I have no problem. My only superstition lies in the way I dress for the game. I have a rotation of Isles tee-shirts to bust out for game day. As soon as a lucky one loses its mojo, it's pulled from the rotation. And any that fail on first wear are rounded up and set on fire after a voodoo priestess comes in and cleanses the area with incense and goat's blood. Currently the shirt that has been working most consistently on behalf of the team, is my Miroslav Satan jersey t-shirt. I bought this at the Islanders Team Store on a day out with my niece and nephew. I scoured the racks for my fave player, Miro Satan and was pleased to finally find a small. And then, on first wear, I noticed it was... snug. I chalked it up to a bit of premenstrual puffiness, but later discovered that the shirt is in fact, a YOUTH small shirt. I'm unsure if the shirt has mojo, or if it is the sight of me in what is ostensibly a belly shirt that spurs the team to victory, but I have really come to rely on it. When I watch the game at home, I do not wear any of my Isles shirts. I collect those player jersey t-shirts, so I choose from the till and wear a Nash, or an Iginla, or a Havlat, etc. The universe, which generally despises me, gets distracted trying to screw one of those teams I'm wearing, and neglects screwing the Islanders (I guess the universe has me figured out right now, huh?). My only other superstition is getting really salty and loud at home and at the Mausoleum. But that is less a superstition than a responsibility.

8 comments:

Elly said...

I feel your pain, I did something similar when trying to order a Crosby t-shirt online. I'm used to the girly sizes that places like the Gap use, and so when I ordered, I ordered in the kids section (because apparently they don't make any t-shirts for women that aren't pink or 'delicately decorated'. I want my shirt loud and obvious, damn it), and figuring it was the kids, I got a large. It was huge, two of me could have fit in it.

Margee said...

I ususally order from the kids section too. The Large size is usually pretty good after a coupla washings, I find. But if there are no kids sizes (and there aren't many) I'll get a small and launder the shit out of it. I can only imagine that the generally generous sizing is why I can even wear a kids small with a, um, busty figure.

I love those shirts though. They don't have nearly enough players available on line. I may have to get the hlog network buzzing so I can get the players I want. You know where I can get a Colby Armstrong?

Elly said...

Ahh, I gotcha. I have the 'womanly' figure of a 12 year-old boy, so I don't usually have to worry about that, lol.

They really do have quite a limited supply online, which is sad since there are a ton of great players that are under appreciated by retailers. I unfortunately don't (at least, not online), but I can check around when I go to Pittsburgh this weekend? I saw a broader selection there last time than they have online.

Heather B. said...

I've always wondered about the limited availability of those t-shirt jerseys. I could swear you can order ANY MLB player and I really think it should be that way for every league. The Sabres store has finally gotten a pretty decent variety though you still have to pretty much go with one of the big offensive guns. D-Men are nearly impossible to find. Who do we talk to about this?

I don't have to worry about sizes though as I'm quite a lot of woman atleast comparatively speaking :-)

Ellie said...

elly - i did the same thing with my crosby shirt - it's a men's small and i could fit two of me in it! but i was able to find malkin, crosby and fluery shirts in kids sizes back home (on sale too!) so i picked up a malkin one.

i haven't seen an armstrong one margee, but i did see a jordan staal one the other day. i would have bought it but it was in men's sizes...

Elly said...

Ellie: I saw Fleury and Malkin ones too, but I'm hoping to stumble on some others. Got any suggestions on where to look?

Heather b: I've given up ever trying to find a D-man shirt. They don't exist, they're like unicorns or Penguins playoff tickets.

Paige said...

Personally, I've got a figure like Ellie's (I feel your pain!) and am very petit. How small? The youth size medium t-shirt was nearly swimming on me. It's incredibly frustrating.

Heather B.- I was walking around the other day when... *drumroll* I saw a Spacek jersey! (I know, what the hell?) So they really do exist!

Margee said...

Elly, Paige, I hate you both. Having big cha-cha's is a real pain in the ass, and not just while ordering from NHL.com. Nursing babies everywhere and their unsavory looks...

But do any of you get the NHL.com catalogue? That has more players than the website (i'm convinced). I've never tried to order from it, though. We have to do some investigating.