Saturday, December 09, 2006

Waving the White Flag

Most of you have probably seen this already, but I just came across it today. Usually I hate players and fans griping about refs, but while I didn't see this particular game, the officiating this season has largely been somewhere between fair and horrendous and ridiculously inconsistent. And sometimes it's worked in the favor of my team so I'm not being bitter here. Anyway, players, if you're going to complain, take a note from Peter Schaefer and be funny and creative about it:



(I won't go into the idiocy of the fine. Do something that might really hurt another player, get $1000. Do something to hurt the poor little ref's feelings, get $2500.)

Anyway... Yeah... I thought it was funny.

5 comments:

Earl Sleek said...

I approve of Schaefer's antics. What's wrong with a little showmanship? It's tough to sell a sport if the participants are not allowed to entertain fans.

They should give him a Bart Simpson blackboard detention instead: "I will not criticize officiating" 500 times.

Doogie2K said...

The NHL would greatly prefer that you shout and swear at the refs to express your disapproval. Unless you're Bob Hartley.

CapsChick said...

It's funny, I was at that game but I didn't see this at the time and had to read about it afterwards. I have to admit the officiating was awful that night, so I don't blame Schaeffer one bit and I think $2500 is a ridiculous fine for this type of thing.

There were bad calls being made on both teams and the Caps just happened to come out on top in this one, but the league needs to look at the officiating and do some serious work soon...

Anonymous said...

i like it! watching people whine and yell at the refs is tedious. i think performance-art complaining should be encouraged. it's funny and it makes you think...

Jordi said...

You know last night I couldn't sleep because of one thought: "does the amount of the fine actually affect the player?" I mean to us it's oodles of money and a new laptop, but to the players is "oops, I dropped my change bag".

And do the fines actually suceed in deterring repeated offences? I swear I need to do a whole crazy report some day - it's killing me if I never know.