Friday, November 10, 2006

Oh, Harvey.

Having only attended two live Flames games at the Saddledome, all information I have for you is hearsay, but I do know that the Flames mascot is Harvey the Hound who is the first NHL mascot EVER. Chew on that bone, suckers.


Harvey comes in at 6'6" and 200lbs. His position is listed as "Centre of Attention" and has been around since 1983. The most disturbing fact is that he shoots right, and by shoot he means marks his territory. Eww. Working two jobs for milkbones, Harvey was also the mascot of the Calgary Stampeders which I find also strange because their logo is a horse...

Harvey's best moment was when he tore up a Canucks jersey in 1989 and most infamous moment was in 2003 when Craig MacTavish got mad at the hound for pestering the Oilers bench and ripped out his tongue. MacT must not be a dog lover.

Apparently the man who was Harvey at the beginning has been creating mascots for other organizations ever since. Interesting and strange...

2 comments:

k.le said...

He looks like a koala.

Jordi said...

I always thought so too! Or better yet, a dingo.

I never got to see the historic tongue tearing moment. If anyone has it, tell me.