Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Vixen from Vancouver

Hi gals! I'll be the rep from the land of rain, Starbucks on every corner and weed. Excuse me if I don't post as often as I should...you know our work ethic out here in Vancouver. Ha ha - just kiddin' :-) But here's my "getting to know you" answers. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

1. Where you're from, what you do - basic things.
I was born in Toronto and kept moving west over the years. My family moved us to Calgary when I was a kid and then I moved to Vancouver with my then-boyfriend-now-husband five years ago. I’m a freelance writer with a sports column in The Province newspaper (Vancouver) and a part-time marketing consultant.


2. Your team and why you like them.
Embarrassing, but I can admit it. My previous record shows that my loyalty is dictated by the city I live in. With every city I move to, I find myself saying “this is the best place to live” and “this city has the best hockey team in the league!” Maybe I’m not a traitor, maybe I’m just a positive person who enjoys the camaraderie of cheering for the city’s team??! So, obviously when I lived in Calgary I was a hardcore Flames fan, and although I still have a soft spot for them and it took me a little while to convert, I now love the Canucks.

3. Your least favourite team and why

Any U.S. team. Canadian teams should rule the NHL.


4. Your favourite player of all time & now

Gretzky. I even had the Mattel doll back in the ‘80’s.













Now? Markus Naslund and Jarome Iginla.


5. If you had to punch one player or member of the NHL organisation, who and why

Easy. Jeremy Roenick – every time he opens his big fat mouth. Comments made by Roenick towards fans who didn’t agree with the lockout: "We're going to try to make it better for everybody, period, end of subject. And if you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you at the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey... I say personally, to everybody who called us 'spoiled,' you guys are just jealous..."


6. What you'll be looking forward to in this group blog

I'll be looking forward to interacting with other female fans across the country! We often notice and want to discuss different stuff than the boys.

7. What don't you like in general?

About hockey? Belligerent fans at the game.

In life? Onions, Nicholas Cage and George Bush.


8. What role do female fans play in keeping the game alive?

We now make up between 30 and 40% of the hockey fans…and growing! Without us, teams would start folding. The NHL better start paying more attention to us – and giving us more than just pink jerseys!


9. What role do female fans play in picking heroes for the community?

I tend to favour the players that seem like the most genuine, kind and honest people off the ice. The number of points they rack up is important, but secondary.


10. Hockey just isn't the same without...

The Hockey Song by Stompin’ Tom.


11. If you were on a deserted island, which player would you pick to stay with you?
Jeremy Roenick (see above). If food was scarce, I wouldn’t feel bad about eating him. Ha ha – just kidding.

12. Crosby, Ovechkin or Phaneuf?

Crosby. Cute and Canadian.


13. The player you'd like to take for:

A grand night out – Iginla. He seems like the type to bring flowers and open doors for me
A movie – Willie Mitchell. From what I’ve seen so far, he seems fun and is new to Vancouver.
A boring event – Ovechkin. We would pass the time on the date trying to figure out what each other was saying.


14. If you could make your own team, regardless of whatever players, what would it be called and where will it be/how would it be like?

The Vancouver Buds. A comical name because Van is known for our grass, but the real reason for the name is because I would choose all guys who are buddies in the league. A team can look good on paper but camaraderie is what separates the good from the best.

4 comments:

Miss. Scarlett said...

How much do I love that you have the Gretzky Mattel Doll?

How much do I love that there IS such a thing. With a glamour shot and everything!

HG said...

I had that doll too and have a great shot of me gazing at it on my 4th birthday.

And don't forget Dion is cute and Canadian too. Sheesh.

Other than that, I'm glad you joined us.

Jordi said...

Oh man Jeremy Roenick. I remember when one time he said somthing like "Hockey players have it hard you know". Uh sure.

Oh boy Ovy would be fun for a boring date. Maybe he'll try to slowly explain a joke!

Jordi said...

Oh by the way I linked your post to the sidebar and made you a co-admin. Feel free to edit the template to make your own short self descriptiong (just replace the "sells drugs to kids" message :) )