Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Unsportsmanlike Conduct it is.

Unless you guys prefer other ones, you can change it rapidly until people give in to your demands.

And I know I'm going to spend a lot of time not doing this so I got this out of the way.

1. Where you're from, what you do - basic things.
I'm all the way in Australia, I don't know how it happened. A friend of mine taught me the Edmonton Oilers and I listened to it like a religion. Skip forward a couple of months and I sort of took to it really really well. Now if only Samsonov would return my calls it'd be icing on the cake.

I'm finishing up my final year of high school and will be done by the end of this year. If it all goes well, in three years you can say hello to a lawyer... Provided if I pass the exam.

2. Your team and why you like them.
I guess this is pretty obvious. I started off loving the Oilers enough to point my favourites out to my sister (she only remembers Cheechoo's name and she can't even remember his number). I even sent an email to Laraque telling him how much I dug him. Nonetheless I like to think I'm still fresh to all this - and I'm allowed to develop guilty affection for other teams (Hello Sharks). After Samsonov migrated to the Canadiens I took interest (I know it's a lame reason but I really loved Samsonov - he was the ugliest guy I tried to show off to my friends). But I don't know, I seem to harbour affection for these guys - in a sort of sinking ship kind of way. Besides it'll help me learn more of other teams, and fully grasp the complexities of hating Leafs.

3. Your least favourite team and why?
I guess I can't really say Leafs in terms of personal reasons. But I can say I just don't like the Canes in the angry defeated way. Don't get me wrong, they played pretty well - and it just made this huge hole in my heart since I just happened to be rooting for the other team. But in terms of shallow anger? Oh the Ducks. I just don't like them. Yep.

4. Your favourite player of all time & now?
This would be better if I sort of knew what I was talking about. So for now it's the studly Russian Samsonov. In my spare time I have a huge thing for the goalie who really shines. Because a winning goalie is really what all people want. Markkanen makes me happy whenever he plays, and Toskala. Well Toskala was really cool okay?

5. If you had to punch one hockey player or member of the NHL organisation, who and why?
Hi Pronger. What's up?

6 What you'll be looking forward in this group blog.
Mainly it's learning more about other teams, I don't want to wait until they beat our asses before I start to memorize who's who. Plus it sounds great on paper!

7. What you don't like in general?
I'm a very laid back person. I like everyone. Except for Pronger (of course) and Marc-Andre Bergeron. I really think Bergeron is not really a guy but really a poor excuse of a hockey player.

8. What role do female fans play in keeping the game alive?
I used to have this sort of utopian dream that all women who liked the game liked it for the right reasons. Additionally I actually thought that female fans wouldn't be seen in any negative light. I then realised that there's this creepy underworld of puckbunnies possibly with questionable diseases. And while that happened I worried about the way gender becomes a whole new issue. Though I don't come with firsthand experience, there is more than enough proof to show that decent female fans exist - though it's the same way as people see a female... doctor?

With that being said, those NHL wives societies do kind of creep me out equally.

9. What role do female fans play in picking heroes for the community?
Now this is easier, females respond quickest in these matters. It's not a coincidence that some fan favourites additionally are female fan favourites (except for the best looking kids). Ovechkin may have an ugly mug but all that nice publicity he gets has a lot of females after him.

Though with that aside, the hero of the community boils down to two things to me: the local hometown kid or the guy who's the best bang for the buck (will be willing to put in hours whether he's paid much or not). Oh and exception number 3: the trophy winner/overpaid player.

10. Hockey just isn't the same without angry defeated fans!

11. If you were on a deserted island, which player would you pick to stay with you?
I seemed to have this already filled in. Roloson. Because he'll amuse me with crazy eye exercises and he comes with millions of cash. That way we can arrange pleas of help with the money and burn it for firewood. That and he looks like a stoner so maybe he's a real party boy.

Oh and Kovalev, he'd fly me out. Unless Toskala comes in with his ship beforehand.

12. Crosby, Ovechkin or Phaneuf (hey he tried!)?
Ovechkin. I spent a lot of time crying out my love for him. He's got this whole happy Wayne Gretzky sweetheart vibe about it. He seems to happily tackle everything that's put in front of him, not to mention he seems like a smart kid.

13. The player you'd like to take for a grand night out/a movie/a boring event
Grand night out: I heard Kipper's a fun guy. Or Mark Smith - he's a musician so he can... do something?
Movie: I talk a lot so it's anyone who doesn't tell me to shut up.
Boring event: Markov. He's a bit of a nutcase so it might work out. Or Bonk's seems to have this reputation of looking like a homeless bum everytime so maybe he could help me make some spare change.

14. If you could make your own team, regardless of whatever players, what would it be called and where will it be/how would it be like?
Australia's a bit far. But if there's another massive lockout, it'd include me coaxing a lot of my favourite players to come over here. I'll arrange luxury style accomodation in my closets. There's actually already a Melbourne team but a name like "Ice" isn't very impressive. Mine would be something like... "Not-Ice"?

That's it for now, it's 12am here and I'm sure I'm going to regret this tomorrow.

1 comment:

Earl Sleek said...

Oh the Ducks. I just don't like them. Yep.

Uh-oh. Looks like my next cartoon just got a lot more anti-Oil.