Thursday, September 27, 2007

Obligatory Post: R.I.P. Bill Wirtz

(x-posted on flyers.femme)

I'm torn...completely conflicted internally. And like all of the other times, this one's about my second-favorite team - the Chicago Blackhawks.

Bill Wirtz died yesterday. According to many who knew him (and frequently criticized him), Bill actually loved hockey. I'd hate to see what would have happened if he hated it.

So, here's my dilemma as a feeling member of the human race:

(a) On one hand, I'm sorry for him and his family. If you didn't know, Dollar Bill died from cancer. I've had several family members and friends die from various kinds of cancer, and it's not a good way to go. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

(b) On the other, I feel like breaking out in a round of "ding dong, the witch is dead, the wicked witch, the witch is dead, ding dong, the wicked witch is dead."

It's a cross-roads for Blackhawks fans. The heirs apparent are Peter and Rocky Wirtz. From my perspective, we have three possible outcomes:

(1) Peter and Rocky love hockey the same way as Bill, and trash it just as much...right after Sr. VP Bob Pulford has some time to work his brand of the same magic.

(2) Peter and Rocky love hockey just as much as Bill, but in a different (read: good) way and reintroduce the team to loyal fans and bring in new ones.

(3) Peter and Rocky sell the team for as much money as they can milk out of somebody who actually gives a shit for Blackhawk fans and knows how to run the team.

3 comments:

Heather B. said...

I will admit that my first thought upon hearing this news was, "Oh, maybe now the Blackhawks will be on local TV." I am terrible.

Shan said...

Most of the articles talk about him as a great man and a philanthropist, someone loved by all his friends. I think maybe he just has a bad reputation because of poor hockey decisions, that HE thought were in the team's best interest.

Lucky13 said...

Here's an upside: you gotta love the idea of a guy named "Rocky" calling the shots! If he's in charge, maybe the Hawks will hone their fighting skills (okay, that was corny, but I couldn't resist).