Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Soundtrack

Any regular reader of my blog (just me? okay!) will recognize that I slip in a lot of musical references and lyrics in posts and post titles. So this playlist thing isn't really far-fetched. Here is a compendium of some things I've referenced in the past and new songs that remind me of things Sens-related:

In no particular order,

1. OK Go! - Here It Goes Again - Yes, the infamous treadmill song. It captures the essence of the Senators' season (so far at least) -- up up ! -- down down down -- up! - down down down down -- up! up! -- down down, etc. What can a mere fan do but sit back and enjoy. [Here it goes, here it goes again/ I should've known, should've known]

2. Arcade Fire - In the Backseat - Be free from paralysis, let go and seize control of life, of a one-goal game. Apparently, the Sens still play like they're in the backseat. [I've been learning to drive/My whole life]

3. U2 - Beautiful Day - Alfie's theme, which warrants a place in here because it's Alfie. [Teach me/I swear I'm not a helpless case]

4. Bright Eyes - If Winter Ends - Yes, this emo anthem summarizes all the nasty feelings and bitterness associated with a playoff exit: whether it's the break-up with a significant other or the break-up of your team guided by the salary cap, putting this song on repeat will allow you to wallow in your own misery for an appreciable time. ['Cause if I can't make myself feel better/Then how should I expect anyone else to give a shit?]

5. Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows - Another Alfie track. This was quoted in a post I wrote about Alfie a while ago, and my feelings haven't changed since. "When I watch Alfredsson in the playoffs, sometimes it's heartbreaking how much this gets to him. Most of the time, it's annoying. I see his face, exhuasted with effort; you cannot accuse him of not trying. And the predictable comes; he's unfocused, he loses his concentration, and he retreats ever so slightly." [Everybody knows the boat is sinking/Everybody knows the captain lied]

6. My Morning Jacket - Master Plan - It's Jim James' voice that calms me down during the most manic of playoff periods and the most panicked of regular seasons. This so-called master plan really may not exist but it's a calming affirmation that yes, things may look helpless now but the Sens have a heart and they will find a way. (Either they find a way, or I revert to listening to Bright Eyes -- sometimes twice!) [I've got a master plan, babe/I've been working on it from the start/Plugging in all of the numbers, watching it on all over the charts/Just 'cause it starts off slow, baby/Doesn't mean it don't have a heart/You'll be walking 'round showing off someday/And it'll take you right back to the start]

7. Sufjan Stevens - Jason - This haunting melodic circular song reminds me of Jason Spezza, though there's no lyrical similarities or resemblance to him whatsoever. It's just Sufjan singing, "Jason, you're the only one" over and over again. Sends chills down my spine, because I'm helplessly reminded of Jason's performance in game 5 of the ECF when he scored, SCORED when it looked like we were never going to do that again. It's moments like those that make me want to cry out, 'Oh Jason. You are the only one.' [Jason/You're the only one/Like that, you're the chosen son]

8. Stars - Ageless Beauty [Most Serene Republic Remix] - This is the song that never fails to calm me down and instill a sense of serenity. (Have you noticed that I need music to calm down, not wind up?) Serene images, serene lyrics, serene vocals, serene melody ... [On the shoreline/Time will hold its promise]

9. Leslie Feist - Inside & Out - These are the lyrics I posted when the Sens were unceremoniously dumped by Pominville. It's how I try to soothe my team's feelings and fragile psyche.

10. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart - I have this song covered by Nouvelle Vague, Squarepusher and numerous others. It is the pits of bitterness and heartbreak. This is also the song I named my blog after. You will find that I post most frequently when the Sens are losing. Coincidence? No.

When routine bites hard
And ambitions are low
And the resentment rides high
But emotions won't grow
And we're changing our ways
Taking different roads
Then love, love will tear us apart again


/

Do you cry out in your sleep?
All my failings expose?
Get a taste in my mouth
As desperation takes hold
Is it something so good
Just can't function no more?
When love, love will tear us apart again.

2 comments:

Sasky said...

<3's your taste in music.

Heather B. said...

Oooh, I second that. I love almost everyone on your list.