Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Oilers Mix Tape #1

1. More than a Feeling - Boston
The Oilers are a classic rock kind of team -- hard working Alberta boys who like to crack a beer, put up their feet, and bang their heads after a hard week on the rigs. This particular tune is a favourite of my favourite, Dwayne Roloson. Excellent vocals and guitar solo.

2. Do You Wanna Touch Me - Joan Jett
As previously discussed.

3. Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
The title really says it all.

4. Talk Dirty to Me - Poison
Who wouldn't want to hear the sexiest team in the NHL talking dirty? Chopper, pick up that guitar and...talk to me!

5. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
Arguably "the best song ever," I chose this one in reference to the Oil's playoff run last year.

6. Under Pressure - Queen
The Oilers usually spend the end of the season battling for the last playoff spot in the West. I'm not complaining -- their underdog status is part of what I love about them. However, this habit of "scraping by" can make April a stressful month.

7. Cum on, Feel the Noize - Quiet Riot
A tribute to the loudest arena in hockey -- Formerly Northlands Coliseum, currently the Drugstore.

8. Paradise City - GnR
Edmonton will always be home.

9. Heaven in Alberta - Big Sugar
"I hear tell about a Heaven in Alberta, where they've got all Hell for a basement." What's below (South of) Edmonton, again?

10. I Love a Man in Uniform - Gang of Four
The girls, they love to see you shoot.

11. Working for the Weekend - Loverboy
I mostly chose this song because it makes me laugh. But it's also Canadian, like the Oilers, and those boys do have to work on the weekend.

12. Feeling Good - Nina Simone
The Oilers' theme song during the playoffs, and one of the all-time greats. Nothing makes me feel good like watching the Oil.

No comments: