Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Blue eyeshadow and blue jerseys

I remember being very small, like 2 or 3, and watching the Oilers on TV. The Zamboni was the most exciting part. My mom's friend put lovely 80s blue eyeshadow on me which is somewhat unrelated except for the part about me not having a TV growing up so we watched at my parents' friend's house. I received the Wayne Gretzky doll for my 4th birthday and fate was sealed.

For a few years in the mid-80s until 1996, hockey and I parted ways except for listening to Canucks games on the radio at night. Oh, the glory days of Linden and Bure. Then a friend and I spent some Saturday nights together watching HNIC because when you only have two channels, it was usually the better choice. I took to Jose Hilton, I mean, Theodore and followed his every move, scouring the Hockey News in the school library for any tidbits of info. When his photo was found, it was quickly photocopied and put up in my locker (oh lockers were fun!).

I graduated high school in 1997 and spent the following years at university where the only hockey I watched was the World Juniors because you always need another excuse to stay up late.

But again, hockey and I drifted apart until 2000 when I was a sad and lonely girl living at home with my parents (I'm sorry Mom and Dad). My mom had tickets to the Kootenay Ice and every once in a while, I would get to go with her but then I started just buying my own because it was FANTASTIC! We would go on the road to watch games and the season was capped off by a trip to Halifax for the Memorial Cup. While there I met my husband who was a Sports Editor for a daily paper. Now that we have been married for 4 years, it's was hard to not get on board with his love for the game and more importantly, love for the Flames. I know he likes having a wife who likes sports and I like having him around too. Also, he puts up with my love for Dion. :) Thanks, honey!

I've stuck with it over the years because I get excited when we go to a live game and excited when the Flames are playing on TV, so you can imagine the excitement in my blood when we went to a live Flames game! Yowza! I love the cool air in the rink, the smells of concession and the ice, the sounds of the game and the fans (not the stupid ones).

Now, I love having my blog, which led me to a great community and grew to become hlog. Yeah!

No comments: