What a great year to be a Pens fan! I haven't seen my team looking this good in a long time. Everything is coming together and clicking - the kind of mindset and physical play you need to win a Stanley Cup...
Washington Capitals vs Philadelphia Flyers
As a Pens fan you couldn't help but to watch this series with great interest:
- Two of our biggest rivals duking it out! How great! One of them will take down the other and mean less work for us!
- After our sweep, this was the series that was going to determine our next opponent. Goddamn Philly just couldn't finish it up in Game 6. So we had to watch another game (which went into overtime). You guys are killing me here.
- You gotta love watching Ovie play. Between him and Mike Green, I was hooked. I can't help it. Despite their personalities, great players make the game that much more fun to watch. And it was nice to see him finally get in a playoff round.
- Whoa Baby Briere knows how to play?!? Guess he remembered just in time...
The (Dreaded) Rangers
Any good Pens fan will tell you that this is a team that comes with some emotional baggage for our city:
- I'll admit it - I love watching Jaromir Jagr. I can't help it. He's one of the guys that got me into hockey in the first place. Him and Mario playing together often resulted in some of the best goals in hockey. But the word "Jagr" said in this town often brings up feeling of resentment. Why did you leave us? Why did things end on such a sour note? Are you truly an a-hole? Or are you just misunderstood? And what happened to that peanut butter you used to make - man that stuff was good!
- Jagr tries to set the record straight yesterday in the visiting team locker room. My heart goes out to him. He's not getting any younger. He wants that cup - bad! Same with Shanahan, Straka, etc. This is their chance. The Rangers management put this team together for a reason - win the damn cup this year so the old timers can retire. And I won't lie - there is a small piece of me that wants to see Jagr lift the cup just one last time...
- Sean Avery. Need I say anymore. I think there was more news this week about Avery and who would be responsible for handling him on the Pens (were looking at you Roberts, Ruutu, Laraque) than there was about the economy. Cindy said it best:
Avery's gonna do his "thing". We'll do ours.
In the end the hockey gods will decide who's truly worthy of "the best trophy in sports" anyway.