Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Lord Stanley Saga Continues...

What a great year to be a Pens fan! I haven't seen my team looking this good in a long time. Everything is coming together and clicking - the kind of mindset and physical play you need to win a Stanley Cup...


Now there's a mullet for ya...

But apart from watching the Pens there have been several other things going on this year in the playoffs that have caught my eye:

Washington Capitals vs Philadelphia Flyers

As a Pens fan you couldn't help but to watch this series with great interest:
  • Two of our biggest rivals duking it out! How great! One of them will take down the other and mean less work for us!
  • After our sweep, this was the series that was going to determine our next opponent. Goddamn Philly just couldn't finish it up in Game 6. So we had to watch another game (which went into overtime). You guys are killing me here.
  • You gotta love watching Ovie play. Between him and Mike Green, I was hooked. I can't help it. Despite their personalities, great players make the game that much more fun to watch. And it was nice to see him finally get in a playoff round.
  • Whoa Baby Briere knows how to play?!? Guess he remembered just in time...
And so with a week + of time on my hands between the Pens next series, I found myself some additional playoff hockey to watch...

The (Dreaded) Rangers

Any good Pens fan will tell you that this is a team that comes with some emotional baggage for our city:

  • I'll admit it - I love watching Jaromir Jagr. I can't help it. He's one of the guys that got me into hockey in the first place. Him and Mario playing together often resulted in some of the best goals in hockey. But the word "Jagr" said in this town often brings up feeling of resentment. Why did you leave us? Why did things end on such a sour note? Are you truly an a-hole? Or are you just misunderstood? And what happened to that peanut butter you used to make - man that stuff was good!
  • Jagr tries to set the record straight yesterday in the visiting team locker room. My heart goes out to him. He's not getting any younger. He wants that cup - bad! Same with Shanahan, Straka, etc. This is their chance. The Rangers management put this team together for a reason - win the damn cup this year so the old timers can retire. And I won't lie - there is a small piece of me that wants to see Jagr lift the cup just one last time...
  • Sean Avery. Need I say anymore. I think there was more news this week about Avery and who would be responsible for handling him on the Pens (were looking at you Roberts, Ruutu, Laraque) than there was about the economy. Cindy said it best:


Avery's gonna do his "thing". We'll do ours.

In the end the hockey gods will decide who's truly worthy of "the best trophy in sports" anyway.

4 comments:

Kerri said...

Look at him, smiling with Mario.

I've never understood the Pens resentment towards Jagr. They boo him because he kept the captainship (that they gave him) when Mario retired. They booed him for leaving (when he was traded to the Caps, and it's not like players never sign with other teams, ever, anyway). Plus, could the Pens really afford Jagr? Will they boo Malkin when they can't afford his massive salary after paying for the rest of their team?

Washington, however, can let the booing begin.

Of course I want the Rangers to win this series, as a Ranger fan. But I want Jagr to win it, as someone who is so grateful to Jagr for turning my franchise around, and as someone who knows Jagr takes the booing personally, and it just seems so unfair to do to someone who helped save a small market franchise.

And if he didn't leave, and if the Penguins weren't awful, they wouldn't have gotten Crosby or Malkin. Always an upside.:-P

Ellie said...

well said kerri. this series is getting harder for me to watch...

Kerri said...

Trust me- it's harder on the losing end. lol. No goals on early whistles make me want to cry.

Elly said...

Delurking here for a bit...

I can understand some of the resentment, but not the continual hatred that is focused on Jagr. He left a bad taste in the fans mouths when he split for Washington, but he deserves more than what the boo birds give him. Without him, there would be no two Cups in Pittsburgh, and while I wouldn't clap for him every time he touched the puck (part of that being an icky Ranger now :P), he definitely deserves more slack.

That being said, if they brought back the peanut butter, I can only think of all the bad things it would be used for during the playoffs, heh.