Thursday, May 24, 2007

It must be May or something...

Well ladies I just spent the last hour catching up on everything at HLOG I’ve missed. Last week was my last week of college so as you can imagine I spent most of it staring down multiple bottles of beer. Last Saturday I walked up on a stage, was given a diploma and promptly put it in a plastic bag because the heavens decided to open up and pour down upon the whole ceremony. The next couple days were spent in Niagara Falls being a tourist, and then back home to the ‘Burgh where I’ve been trying to get life in order.

But through it all I still managed to catch a good amount of the Detroit/Anaheim series much to my delight. That’s one of the reasons I love hockey so much – it just finds a way to fit right in with the rest of your life. I had the Ducks winning in a playoff pool way back at the beginning of it all, so it’s nice to know I got one half of the pool right. The other half went to the Pens but as we all know, the Sens had other plans up their sleeves.

In keeping with the usual May festivities of handing out awards and such to all the accomplishments of the past year, the Pens are sitting rather pretty right now. Sporting News just named Crosby the Player of the Year (and also Center on their All Star team) and Malkin walked away with Rookie of the Year. Our coach, Michel Therrien came in second for the Coach of the Year award. Is this a prediction of good things to come? Only June 19th will tell…

Sid was also named Most Influential Athlete by Time magazine. Coming in with 85,835 votes he was the 8th highest overall in the rankings. Not too shabby for a 19 year old.

Couple other tidbits: Pens are 20th in the draft this year which is a major change up from the past couple years. That’s ok though. We got enough kids to last a couple more seasons. Gary Roberts and Mark Recchi were extended offers from the Pens for next season. Roberts was key in the playoffs and I’d wouldn’t mind having him around for another season, but Recchi was getting slow and old. Bout time for him to hang up his skates.

God what am I going to do with myself this summer while I wait for work to start - Is it October yet?

3 comments:

Shmee said...

Congrats on graduating! I just realized its been a year since I graduated but it feels like yesterday that I was at bar after the ceremony slurring the words "I'm a jradjduate!"

Isnt Croby an RFA after this season? I imagine they must want to sign him to a multi year deal if they can, but can they afford it?

Ellie said...

Thanks shmee!

Crosby is an RFA after this season - there's been a lot of talk about what kind of deal he'll get, with one of the biggest concerns being can they keep him, malkin, staal and fluery all at the same time.

Shmee said...

Are they all RFAs too after this season? I figured Malkin and Staal had a year or so left on entry level deals. But yeah, that can be really expensive. And they are drafting lower now. The perils of winning...