Saturday, February 10, 2007

Good Things Come in Two's (or is it three's?)!

So as Sherry put it - what are the odds that both Pens reps are named Ellie/Elly? I think it might be a sign from the hockey gods or something...So here's a little about me, Ellie with an ie!

1. Where you're from, what you do - basic things.
I’m originally from Pittsburgh, but currently I go to school in Troy, NY (near Albany). I’ll be graduating (hopefully!) in May with a Bachelors of Science in Industrial and Management Engineering. No job yet, but I’m working on it. I’m in a sorority here at school (Alpha Phi) and I enjoy yoga and hanging out with friends in my free time. And of course anything hockey related.

2. Your team and why you like them.
The Pittsburgh Penguins were what got me interested in hockey. I remember many a cold winter nights watching the Pens on TV with my dad. Those were the days of Mario, Jagr, Francis, Stevens, Barrasso and the Stanley Cup coming to Pittsburgh. Watching those games is also how I learned the National Anthem. I’ve stuck by the Pens through thick and thin although I’d say the lockout really solidified my love for hockey (what’s that saying – absence makes the heart grow fonder…).

3. Your least favorite team and why?
The Devils put me to sleep. I love Brodeur but they play such a patient system that it is painful to watch sometimes. Habs fans drive me nuts with their intensity, but I can understand it growing up in Steelers country. The Flyers too seeing how we rarely get a leg up on them (except this year!) and they are from the bad side of the state.

4. Your favorite player of all time & now?
I know many would disagree but my favorite player of all time is Jagr. I love his style of play – very physical, up in your face, but extremely intuitive and graceful. I miss the days of watching him in a Pens uniform dance around five guys and score. Mario Lemieux is a close second. I’ve gotten hooked on Crosby these last two seasons because he puts on such a show every time he plays.

5. If you had to punch one hockey player or member of the NHL organization, who and why?
I’d punch Jonathan Cheechoo for that nasty hit on Mark Eaton that kept him out of the lineup until now.

6. What you'll be looking forward in this group blog.
It was so nice to discover a group a women talking intelligently about hockey. Most of the people I talk hockey to are guys and they often don’t have the same appreciation for the game as fellow female fans do. Also this is the first season I’ve really started to pay close, in depth attention to other players and teams around the league so it will be nice to learn things from everyone.

7. What you don't like in general?
I’m a bit of a treehugger so big SUVs make me mad. Also the Bush administration.

8. What role do female fans play in keeping the game alive?
Female fans give a different perspective to the game. Hockey is a game of passion and skill but also grace and intuition. I’ve found that girls usually pick up on these things better than guys do. Girls also seem to care more about a player both on and off the ice, his personality, what drives him, what makes him tick. All of these things come out in a player’s game whether they mean to or not. It’s more than just stats and trades boys – it’s heart too.

9. What role do female fans play in picking heroes for the community?
Female fans have a good appreciation for what a hero does not only for his team, but for the community as well. Take Mario Lemieux who basically rescued hockey in Pittsburgh but also has given back to the community here. Also Mark Recchi who is not only a leader for our young team but is giving under privilege kids a chance to see hockey games in a luxury box. It’s these kind of guys that our communities need. Plus knowing how a guy gives back off the ice makes him that much more enjoyable on the ice.

10. Hockey just isn't the same without...
A good fight and a hat trick every once in a while.

11. If you were on a deserted island, which player would you pick tostay with you?
Darius Kasparaitis I’ve always wanted the chance to chat with. Sidney Crosby I would love to talk to and get around all the same boring questions that the media always asks him.

12. Crosby, Ovechkin or Phaneuf (hey he tried!)?
Crosby. I do believe it was fate that brought him to the ‘Burgh. He’s got skills, talent and intensity. Not to mention he cleans up nicely and seems to enjoy kids.

13. The player you'd like to take for a grand night out/a movie/a boring event?
A grand night out – Mario Lemieux – he looks good in a suit, he knows lots of influential people and I’d love the chance to pick his brain.
A movie – Crosby – I hear he goes to the movies a lot.
A boring event – Marc Andre Fluery – he’s really funny and I’m sure he’d be entertaining regardless of the circumstances.

14. If you could make your own team, regardless of whatever players,what would it be called and where will it be/how would it be like?
One thing I’ve always like about hockey is the dynamic duos that often come up. Guys that can read each other across the rink and always seem to know where to find the other (think St. Louis and Lecavalier). So maybe instead of the All Star game, we could have the Dynamic Duos game where it’s just two on two – see who can read each other better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any woman with an appreciation for Darius Kaspiritis is among my new favorite hockey writers.

Take that Linda Cohn.

Justin
iTricks.com

Elly said...

Ellie/Ellys of the world unite?

That's a really good point about Lemieux and Recchi...there's more that makes a great player than just what he does on the ice.

Welcome!

Steph said...

I love that dynamic duo idea...maybe I'm just too attached to my Red Wing Eurotwins and, of course, Petr Sykora and Ales Hemsky, but damn would that ever really be something to see.

And of course welcome!

Paige said...

"a sign from the hockey gods"
Love it, I knew there had to be someone to thank for such a great sport.

Welcome to the group!

Jordi said...

Petr Sykora and Ales Hemsky, but damn would that ever really be something to see.

Don't forget Smiddy and his daddy Staios!

And damn woman, Fleury's teeth outshines his big yellow pads. It's creepier than Peca's teeth. Is there some sort of big teeth hockey gang that I don't know about?